why, when hilary loses is the big story that hilary is losing, and when hilary wins, that's all that gets mentioned, with no news at all on front pages about 2nds and 3rds? does the news establishment have a bit of bias?
polls vs. reality
Body: ----------------- Bulletin Message -----------------
From: Son Of The Iron Dragon (Lonewolf)
Date: Jan 5, 2008 8:07 AM
----------------- Bulletin Message -----------------
Date: Jan 5, 2008 10:03 AM
wopila tanka .... Lozana
Come on people ... make some phone calls ... you know who to call .. your gov. reps ... raise some hell over this
Date: Jan 5, 2008 9:57 AM
Subject: Lipan Apache plea for immediate intervention (Please repost)
Body: Friday, January 4, 2008
Indigenous land owners in Texas plea for immediate intervention, US prepares to seize lands for border wall
Homeland Security has issued a 30-day notice to south Texas land owners, expiring Monday, January 7, 2007, to seize private lands in Texas for the border wall. Lipan Apache issue a call for help:
By Margo Tamez
This is a request for immediate intervention on behalf of indigenous land title holders of the rancheria of El Calaboz, La Paloma, and El Ranchito in South Texas. I am writing to you this evening as the indigenous peoples of El Calaboz, La Paloma and El Ranchito rancherias in South Texas express grave fear for their safety, their livelihoods, and being ripped violently apart from our sacred lands held in our communities prior to contact with Spanish settlers and empresarios, and thereafter, in continuity. ( ..in continuity. digest that.
read moreCollapse )
89% John Edwards
87% Dennis Kucinich
86% Barack Obama
85% Chris Dodd
84% Mike Gravel
82% Hillary Clinton
82% Joe Biden
80% Bill Richardson
32% Rudy Giuliani
24% John McCain
21% Mitt Romney
21% Tom Tancredo
19% Mike Huckabee
15% Ron Paul
9% Fred Thompson
2008 Presidential Candidate Matching Quiz
..i find these results interesting, and surprisingly well matched to what i would have guessed to be my preference. why am i surprised? - because i've quite diligently ignored all the candidates and politicking as much as possible to this point, so i don't actually know well what specifically any of them (claim to) stand for. i really hate what our election process has become, how it drags out for nearly TWO years now, and that's for us plebians. i know i think hillary is a corrupt rich white man (and i don't trust a process that yeilds bush, clinton, clinton, bush, bush, clinton), and that although i don't like the idea of associating with a political party, i'm certainly not a modern day republican. also, that my brother and his gf both like edwards best and i trust both of them. while i may be avoiding learning about individual candidates for as long as possible, i am continuously issue aware, election or no, and in that regard, i never stop educating myself. ben and fiona also constantly self-educate about social issues, and we tend to have the same moral beliefs shaping our opinions on current states of human affairs.
i did register to vote last month (finally, again after moving).
..one thing that really bothers about the whole shebang this time - i've heard a lot more people than i'd like to believe are so prejudiced make negatively toned statements (both bluntly and subtly) about obama and his "black" race and the presidency. there are factors that just shouldn't matter. skin tone is one. (even stranger to me, he is half black half white, and acts more stereotypically white than black from what i've seen. stereotypes be damned anyway.)
and now, in the backwards nature of blogging where the last comes first, the companion entry to the previous where i take the most significant, most interesting or truest sentence from the first entry of each month for 2007:
jan) if someone was cooking up a plan to drive me insane, they'd only need to disappear my laptop power cord and they'd be well on their way to success.
feb) david and i have been at it like demons.
march) i miss AS#1.
april) It seems that not a week goes by anymore without one of my children or the other being bullied at school.
may) i'm not offended, angry, self-righteous, indignant.. nothing really, unless it's curious and interested in an unusual moment.
june) Your overall weirdness is: 33
july) i love the weekends i spend with friends.
aug) i think instead it is expressing an idea that even lincoln would be discouraged and unable to gather power in today's political climate - that as a population we are so smoothed over, self-absorbed and disconnected that even the greatest leader our country has ever had would today be unable to lead.
sept) today i felt the earth there, and it took me too.
oct) the birds are calling. the slugs are calling. the frogs are calling. the baby deer are calling.
nov) " A very great vision is needed and the man who has it must follow it as the eagle seeks the deepest blue of the sky." crazy horse
dec) 16 is 16 is 16 will (n)ever be 32.?
you know, looking over these two entries, i can definitely see an improvement in my overall mental health.
the first sentence from each month this year:
jan) i can't find the powercord for my laptop.
feb) it's been two weeks since i made a public post and there's been one friends post of no substance in the between.
march) both my kids want me to homeschool them next year.
april) I have been further investigating the matter of bullying in schools as it pertains to school in general and the issues surrounding my own children.
may) i had a strange little exchange at the grocery store just now.
june) So, thewhimmed, your LiveJournal reveals...You are... 6% unique (blame, for example, your interest in would you please explain) and 10% herdlike (partly because you, like everyone else, enjoy sushi).
july) night of multiple frogs:)ribbitribbitribbit.
aug) i'm in the best housesitting situation:).
sept) today has been a strange kind of good day.
oct) i seem to have crossed some invisible line of shape, of my own shape.
nov) because.. how long's it been since i posted?
ded) i'll try to keep it short.
taken from ravendark122ils
seems i write about not writing more than anything. that's no good!!
haha, paul mccartney told off his (now ex)label publicly, with lightly dripping disdain and amusement.
you had to know an old beatle could never really go stale.
..anyone know how to get lj to stop autoshowing where links go in this journal, changing the color, putting up stupid little boxes? this is supposed to be freestyle writing you bully bastards.
my grandma left for CA for 5months today and i'm all blue about it. she's myonly friend inthis cold heartedtown*.
*the only one i ever hang out with anyway.
presumptively taken from tristanwolf
because.. how long's it been since i posted? here, or anywhere. maybe a couple weeks. maybe longer? maybe not. i don't know. my sense of time is disasterously unreliable. but who cares. point.
Five things thing
List five things that I want to say to people but never will (without saying who they are):
1. wait. i need some mental stimulation first. pitiful.ptfl bback. no -this isn't #one.
1. you know whatblows? now when the fullmoon beginsto rise i know a bare soul has just been offered halfplans of a cloak. there are some questions you should justnever ask, but how canyou know which if you'renot clever enough to anticipate the answer. polar schedules but one design not mine.
2. think, and let your heart and mind be free. what you find there will be truth.
3. you need inpatient care. ok.
4. does the queen of america now get a police escort on the interstate, strange tag team affairs? notpossible. but happening. and you think you're mentally ill.
5. how what and who. now whyarethereclownes? :) o :(? said the optimist. :(o:)! said the other
it'sa keyboard issue.i need a new one. boring detail. publicly aired.
Five things I’d love to do before I die:
1. travel france (agreed, and i'd like to visit my old hs friend joe while i'm there. but then, to take a slow southern walk farther too. marble. ohyes.)
2. write a book (mhmm.)
3. have a speaking part in a major motion picture (oh that would be so fun! but i give the power of this wish tosomeone long loved)
4. be a monk or hermit.
5. heal the earth.
Five things I will not do even if it kills me:
1. maybe i can'tanswerthis stonechipping question.
2. be evil.
3. sell out.
4. abandon my children of course.
three's enough for now.
Five things I do when I'm away from the public:
1. go hourswithout making a sound
2. cry deep tears
3. think.and think. and think. or feel.
4. talk orsingto myself
Five fave sentences/quotes/lyrics:
thi s may take a while. and i don't like makingplans.
1. what islife toa maze andamuse? :^i)e
2. " A very great vision is needed and the man who has it must follow it as the eagle seeks the deepest blue of the sky." crazy horse
3. "One portion of land is the same to him as the next, for he is a stranger who comes in the night and takes from the land whatever he needs. The earth is not his brother, but his enemy, and when he has conquered it, he moves on. He leaves his father's grave behind, and he does not care. He kidnaps the earth from his children, and he does not care. His father's grave, and his children's birthright are forgotten. He treats his mother, the earth, and his brother, the sky, as things to be bought, plundered, sold like sheep or bright beads. His appetite will devour the earth and leave behind only a desert." chief seattle
4. ""oh no, your grampa designed all his own houses and then he took them to the engineers." my grandma:)(my grandpa was a house builderhis whole life,an honest good quality one, but today ifound out he also completelymade all hisown plans. iremember goingwith my grandma to pick upblue prints when iwas a kid, and i've always thought hewas the very good contractor/carpenter getting designs from another architect.)
5."meet me tomorrow night, or any day you want.
i have no right to wonder just how, or when.
and though the meaning fits, there's no relief in this.
i miss my beautiful friend." - jeff buckley 'morning theft' (ok, i borrowed thistoo, butit'sgooddontyathink?..(blinknoh))
i'm still walking in fast circles over two hours after getting home. good time for cleaning except that i'm so tired it just makes me hurt more. i need to sleep. tomorrow's party is at least an earlier one.
autumn's first frost just rose from the earth, fell from the sky, gathered in the air, and on a full moon too.
i remembered to rescue my basil.
road report: purely vegetables and minerals tonight.
something you maybe didn't know: Some frogs use their sticky tongues to catch fast-moving prey, while others capture their prey and force it into their mouths with their hands.
~~~! that sounds so cute, a little froggy sitting on his hind legs with a big fat mosquito in his hands, conversing over dinner:)
another important froggy factoid: In continental Europe, a large proportion of migrating frogs used to die on roads, before special fences and tunnels were built for them. - i wish they were making frog tunnels here. i wonder if i could get anyone to care? i wonder where i could find studies on frog populations in this area.
more interest: some frogs keep their eggs moist by peeing on them. what a way to be born~
and the last piece i'll give you tonight, the one i was looking for: frogs in colder climates bury themselves in the ground during winter where much of their body freezes. so, i guess that's where they've gone. it makes for a much quicker drive home, once assuredly confirmed. freezes.. sounds strange and very cold, although i think they must not feel it.
credits: i <3 widipedia for it's extreme availability, but.. learn how to edit people. i don't need the same sentence said three different ways leading off three entirely similar paragraphs in a row thank you. nonetheless: